The Sweethearts’ Ball – April 9th at 5:30 PM
For the 4th year in a row Coeur d’Alene will host the Sweethearts’ Ball, which celebrates the lives of children in the greater northwest who battle cancer related illnesses. Each spring we bring together some of Coeur d’ Alene and the surrounding areas most generous benefactors to share a night full of love, friendship, and excitement. While still in its infancy, the Sweet Heart’s Ball has positioned itself as the main contributor to Camp Journey, with the support and kindness of the whole community Camp Journey can continue to bring such special kids, the most amazing week of their lives! Please join us for an exciting night with a wonderful Silent Auction, Live Auction, a delightful 3 Course Meal, Live Music and Dancing. The 4th annual Sweet Heart’s Ball will be on April 9th 2016, from 5:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. at the Coeur d’Alene Resort convention center ballroom. This year’s Kentucky Derby themed gala will be an evening full of love and fun as our community comes together to raise money for such a great cause and event for Camp Journey.
Click here on Sweethearts’ Ball for the details to join other generous donors by becoming a sponsor or to attend the banquet.
Dealing with childhood cancer can sometimes make “just being a kid” seem out of reach—and out of scope for the whole family. At Camp Journey, our goal is to change that perception and that reality. In this nurturing, medically supervised home-away-from-home, young cancer survivors can leave their worries behind for one magical week and immerse themselves in a fun-filled outdoor camp experience tailored expressly to their needs. Meanwhile, their families and caregivers can rest easy, knowing that trained oncology staff is on-site 24/7.
With roots dating to 1985, Camp Journey is a no-cost resident and day camp for children diagnosed with cancer, both on and off therapy. The camp gives these children the opportunity to spend a week in the outdoors, participating in typical camp activities while making friends with others who understand and share their situation. Along the way, they develop independence and confidence, learn new skills, and make memories to last a lifetime
PROGRAM: 2:00 PM, Sunday, July 31 through 10:00 AM, Saturday August 6, 2016
Eligibility: Ages 7 – 17
- A child diagnosed with cancer on active cancer therapy.
- A child who had bone marrow transplant (BMT) or stem cell transplantation (SCT).
- A child who has completed cancer therapy.
- A sibling of a child attending camp diagnosed with cancer (on or off therapy) or who had a BMT or SCT.
- A friend of a child attending camp diagnosed with cancer (on or off therapy) or who had BMT or SCT.
- A sibling who has attended camp in the past, who lost their brother or sister within the past 2 years, can attend camp for one year.
- A child from Eastern Washington, Northern Idaho and Western Montana.
PROGRAM: Monday through Thursday, August 1 –4 9:15 AM – 4:00 PM
Eligibility: Ages 5 – 7
SPECIAL NOTE: Day Camp is a separate program from Resident Camp. Day Camp is for cancer survivors only (no siblings/friends). Programming is designed specifically to meet the needs of these young ones and staffing is provided to accommodate them one-on-one as needed.
- A child diagnosed with cancer on active therapy.
- A child who had a bone marrow transplant (BMY) or stem cell transplantation (SCT).
- A child who has completed cancer therapy.
- A child from Washington, Northern Idaho, and Western Montana.
Activities: Swimming, beach games, Arts & Crafts, hikes, singing, campfires, special theme related activities and even a nap!
Family Lodging: If your family will be traveling from a distance (1.5 hrs each way or more) lodging at a nearby hotel may be provided for you while your child attends day camp. Lodging nights would be August 1-4, 2016.
The generous donations from caring individuals, organizations and foundations makes this unique camp available without cost to campers and their families.
Application Deadline: May 13, 2016.
Please call for availability after this date.
To request an application packet, call Kari Allen at 509-863-7379, email firstname.lastname@example.org or an application may be downloaded here – Camper Application 2016. The REGISTER HERE! link in the column to the right is for all events except Camp Journey.
Volunteers are recruited, carefully screened and attend special training specific to this camp. Ensuring the safety and health of the campers is our top priority. A volunteer application may be downloaded here – Volunteer Application 2016 or contact Kari Allen at 509-863-7379 or email@example.com.
To make a donation to help a child who has experienced cancer go to camp, please click on the donate button below.
You can also help Camp Journey earn donations just by shopping with your Fred Meyer Rewards Card. You still earn your Reward points and Fred Meyer donates toward the non profit that you have linked to your rewards card . For more details click on Fred Meyer Fund Raiser flyer.
How Can You Help??
2016 Supply Needs/Wants
- Sleeping Mats (10)
- Car Seats (4)
- Permanent Storage Building with floor (20×30)
- Fishing Chairs (3)
- Kayak (1)
- Stand-up Paddle Boards (5)
- Pop-up Awnings (3)
- 3 seat pop-up benches (3)
- Duct tape (lots)
- Dress up clothes/costumes
- Water/sand toys
- Archery Bows (6) assorted sizes
- Arrows (24) assorted sizes
- Bow Stringer (1)
- Archery Targets (3)
- Craft Supplies to include: Acrylic paint, paint brushes, sharpies, muslin fabric, fabric markers, card stock paper… (more to come)